Friday, October 12, 2007

Catholic TV

I took a couple of days off work this week and I've been sitting here this morning watching the Catholic TV Network (Eternal Word Television Network). I watch it quite often as a matter of fact. One program was a video of praying the Rosary from the Holy Land. I was so moved as I listened and watched the images from the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. Then the Pope came on and had his daily mass in St Peter's Square in Rome. As I watched the faces of the people there, it came to me that these people are sincere in their devotion to God. They are on a holy pilgrimage seeking a spiritual renewal. I have absolutely no right to be critical or self righteous about my personal relationship with God. I watch my father-in-law and my mother-in-law and they are absolutely devoted to God. I have to believe that if anyone, including Catholics, is truly seeking a relationship with Jesus, they will find it. God said in His Word that if we seek God, we will find Him. I remember when I was in Nazareth on a Holy Land Tour that there was a Catholic Church across the street. I got up and went to the 0600 mass. As I sat there listening to the mass (in Latin), God's presence was so strong that I could barely sit up. I did not understand one word that was spoken, but God blessed me that morning in a way that I will never forget. In the same way, I do not agree with all the pomp and ceremonialism of a Catholic Mass but I know that God is so excited when we just want to know him. I love what the Apostle Paul said in his letter to the Philippian church. He had just given a list of all the reasons why he could consider himself superior or more qualified to preach. Philippians 3:7-14 (KJV)
7 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. 8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: 10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; 11 If by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. 12 Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. The Holy Bible : King James Version. 1995. Logos Research Systems, Inc.: Oak Harbor, WA

No comments: