Sunday, July 22, 2007

Five Smooth Stones

As I was driving to church this morning, I was praying (or whining) you decide. I was telling God that I'm not sure how to be the man that I know He is calling me to be. There are a lot of reasons why I would be unsure, but the bottom line is, I am at times. God has been speaking to my heart this week about King David. Pastor Aaron has been teaching on David's life over the past few weeks. I have been thinking about how when David went to fight Goliath, he had five stones. It is our responsibility as believers to pick up stones for the battle long before the battle confronts us. God is saying that scripture memorization is the way of having those "smooth stones" for the battle. If I wait until I'm in the thick of battle to start looking for stones, I will not like the outcome of that battle. But... if I have hidden God's Word in my heart that I might not sin against HIM, this Word will come forth at exactly the time that I need it. David had also "picked up stones" before this in his fights with the bear and the lion. God had used David's previous life experience as preparation for this battle with Goliath. His self-confidence was where it needed to be. He knew that he could fight. When every one else was standing in fear, David only saw a "Philistine dog that defied the Army of the Living God". In the same way, I have had many, many battles over the last 33 years with many "bears" and "lions". So... if I do not use what I have learned from these battles, it is unbelief and SIN. Now... back to this morning while I was driving to church. God very clearly spoke to my heart and told me "you know that this is spiritual warfare and after 26 years in the Army and Army Reserve, you know how to be a soldier!" It's time to use the warrior mentality that resides in me. I'm sick and tired of this and starting now, NO MORE! As we used to say in the Army, "in the absence of orders... ATTACK!" 2 Timothy 2:3-7 (KJV) 3 Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. 4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier. 5 And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully. 6 The husbandman that laboureth must be first partaker of the fruits. 7 Consider what I say; and the Lord give thee understanding in all things. Well I'm driving a stake down here and moving into the attack mode. It's time to do as it's said in a popular Christian praise song, and go into the enemies camp and take back what he's stole from me.

No comments: