Saturday, November 10, 2007

A Conversation in a Truck Stop


I was sitting in the TA Truckstop in Russell, IL on Wednesday night eating my supper when the guy behind me asked "are you a pastor or a truck driver?" I told him "both". I wear a cap that says "Pastor Dan" and has a cross on it. This is exactly the reason that I wear it. We were both watching the news on the TV and discussing how bad the world is getting. Wayne is a truck driver from Maine. Wayne from Maine. I like the way that just rolls off your tongue, but, anyway, He proceeded to tell me his story. Two and a half years ago he was diagnosed with cancer of the tonsils. He found the Lord as he was confronted with the fact that his life might soon be over. I was so encouraged as he related to me how his new found faith got him through the cancer treatments. His wife was so moved by the change that she saw in him that now she is a believer. They are searching for what God wants them to do with the rest of their lives. He said that he feels that God wants him on the road to minister to other truckers. All I really did was listen. I did tell him that there are a lot of walking wounded out there and they need people like him to come along and just give a word of encouragement and a pat on the back. Before I left I asked if we could pray together. We held hands and prayed there in the middle of the truck stop restaurant. This guy is a 250 to 300 lb, rough, tough looking man and God has softened his heart and given him a servant's heart. You just never know what the next minute might bring. Our job is to strive to keep our hearts pure before God and be ready "in season and out of season" to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ or simply give someone a smile and a pat on the back. God Bless you Wayne from Maine.

No comments: