Friday, July 18, 2008

College Student? at 55?

Well here I sit at almost 56 years old on the threshold of what God called me to do in 1973. Does this mean I am a slow starter? :) I think not. As I've been thinking back over the last 35 years, I can see the hand of God in all that I've done. I am humbled that God found me faithful putting me in the ministry. As I have said in an earlier post, I was right on the brink of getting a pastorate when I was 22 or 23. I thank God that I did not. I was nowhere near being mature enough to have handled it. There is no doubt that I would have failed miserably, probably never to try it again. Trust me, I've made my share of stupid decisions over the years, but God has used all of those decisions for my training and benefit. Also, I have a myriad of life experiences, some good and some bad, to pull from. I find it to be less than a coincidence that I've always been intensely interested in the battlefield of the mind and now I'm going to study psychology with a strong emphasis on counseling. I'll be almost 60 when I graduate, but, if Jesus tarries I'm going to be almost 60 anyway, so I might as well have a degree.

Psalm 71:18 (KJV) 18 Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, forsake me not; until I have shewed thy strength unto this generation, and thy power to every one that is to come.

No comments: