Monday, August 20, 2007

God and Golf

In July I went to our Annual Pastor's Conference in Columbus, OH. On Friday afternoon, we had a golf outing. I went but backed out because I didn't have a clue what to do. Since I returned I have purchased a set of golf clubs on EBAY. I figured since I had clubs, I should take some lessons. I'm usually good at what ever I do. Well... I've found something that I'm not good at. Golf. Of course, I guess I should give it a little time. I took my first lesson on Saturday. It occurs to me that it's going to take a LOT of practice for me to be even fair at this. Our next Pastor's Conference is next July. I'll be ready to play golf next year. Our walk with God is very similar. The more time and effort I'm willing to put into my walk with God, the more I will get out of it. Not that I believe that I can work my way into God's favor. Nothing could be further from the truth. When I accepted Jesus as my Lord and Savior, that was all that was needed to be seen by God as righteous. As with my relationship with my wife (smoochie), we entered into our marriage on December 14, 1991. It is our express intention for this marriage to be the only marriage for us until we go on to glory. Even though I know that she loves me, there are certain things that I will not do because I do not want to damage our relationship. This takes discipline and practice. It is the same with my relationship with God. I don't strive to live a holy life out of fear. I do it because I don't want to damage my relationship with God the Father. There are things that I work at, prayer, Bible Study, etc... to keep my relationship with Father God alive. It is my prayer for you that you will continue to grow in your relationship with God. Not out of fear, but because you want to be closer to your daddy and be changed from the inside out into His image. We have the assurance that if our relationship with God is not where it once was or should be getting to, we can go back to the basics and improve it. As with golf, if I listen to my teacher and do the things he's telling me to do, the correct way, I will see results. God is saying the same thing to us, go back to the basics and work on your relationship.

No comments: