Friday, August 3, 2007

Melissa

Today my wife (smoochie) and I were in the grocery store. As we were checking out I couldn't help noticing the girl who was bagging our groceries was named Melissa. I also couldn't help noticing that she was mentally retarded. I was touched by her for a couple of reasons the first being that I have a daughter named Melissa, whom I love with all of my being. The second reason was that although she was obviously really struggling to keep up, she had a very good attitude and seemed to be enjoying what she was doing. I made a point to tell Melissa about my daughter and how I thought that she had a really cool name. She just beamed that I would take the time to talk with and encourage her. It was a reality check for me to see her trying so hard to do a good job as people were all around her in such a hurry to just get their groceries and get out of the store. Smoochie and I made a special point to be very understanding with Melissa and thanked her so much for her good attitude. It was refreshing to see someone who obviously liked what they were doing. If for no other reason, God has put "special" people like Melissa on this earth to humble us. It also occured to me that He did Melissa a favor because she will never have to worry about her eternal destination. I believe she will have a place of special honor in eternity. God bless you Melissa.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I love you Diddy!! I am so proud of you!!